An Inequality of Superheroes


It's been a surprising side effect of the Occupy Movement that everyone has suddenly started paying attention to social equality, or perceived inequalities. If Hoover were still around (and no, Leonardo's make-up artists are fooling no one) he'd have locked us all up for exhibiting Communist tendencies.

It occurred to me a few weeks ago that the 99%-versus-1% argument doesn't work everywhere, however. Specifically, I began to wonder about our superheroes. Batman and Iron Man may be the modern equivalent of the heroes of Greek legend, but they have conspicuously deeper pockets. Bearing in mind that these guys are the biggest box office successes of the past ten years, could it possibly be true that we're still idolizing the rich, even after all the lessons we (should have) learned from Wall Street?

Well, one thing led to another... and no, I didn't start the Occupy Gotham movement. But I did write a brief memoir of my time spent playing Golden Heroes, a role-playing game that promised to turn us all into Spandex-wearing saviors. It just seemed safer that vigilantism, somehow.

You can read my essay 'I was a Teenage Superhero' here. Please leave all comments/love/hate mail on the TNB site, I need the visibility folks!

And before you ask, I'm afraid my Spandex-wearing days are over. I do still occasionally wear my underpants over my jeans, though.

Comments